We have been struck with extreme weather conditions here in Sydney recently. 40 degree plus temperatures followed closely with torrential rain. I find these days difficult – most of the time we cant head outdoors and the last thing I want to do is take the kids to a shopping centre where I am spending money mindlessly because of boredom. I asked you what your top frugal rainy day activities with kids were and these are the brilliant ideas you came up with.
Frugal Rainy Day Activities with Kids
- Build a fort
- Painters tape to create roads and tracks
- Board games, memory games and card games like UNO
- Homemade play dough
- Baking, getting the kids involved in meal preparation in the kitchen
- Favourite movie at home with popcorn
- Indoor picnic
- Play in the rain if it’s not too cold with gumboots and umbrellas
- Bath play! Freeze some toys in water to plonk in or use a few drops of food colouring to add an element of fun
- Indoor camping with a tent, blankets and chairs (or using the dining table if you have no tent!)
- Create an indoor obstacle course (crawling through a tunnel of chairs, hopping on one foot around pillows, jumping in and out of a hoola hoop, balancing an object on your head etc)
- Bocce down the hallway (read about what Bocce is here)
- Visit the library
- Have a dance party or a concert using homemade instruments
- Balloon volley ball
- Look at old photos
- Printables – If you have access to a printer, print some pictures for the kids to colour in. No need for new colouring books!
- Play “Playschool” – use the recycled items you already have in your home to create. Create a sea scene using foil for fish and torn paper for seaweed. Create play “money” using bottle tops. Make a robot from a cardboard box. Your options are limitless!
These activities inspire creativity, they are fun, they encourage time together as a family and best of all most of them are completely free!