- 16 bao buns, steamed as per packet instructions (see note 1)
- 2 tbsp tamari or all-purpose soy sauce, plus extra to serve
- 1 tsp garlic, freshly minced
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 500g chicken thigh fillets, cut into strips
- 1.5 cups plain flour (see note 2)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Oil for frying (see note 3)
- 1 cup carrot, julienned or shredded
- 2 cucumbers, cut into batons
- 1/2 bunch coriander, leaves picked
- 1/2 cup sriracha mayonnaise (or regular mayonnaise for littles)
- 2 red chillies, sliced to serve (optional)
- Place the soy sauce, garlic, eggs and chicken thigh fillet strips in a medium-sized bowl. Toss to coat.
- Place the flour, salt and pepper in a separate large bowl. Add the chicken (draining away the marinade) and toss in the flour to coat. Ensure the chicken is fully coated in flour on all sides.
- Heat the oil on medium heat. Cook the chicken in batches for 6-8 minutes, turning once halfway through and then set aside to drain on a paper towel.
- Serve the bao buns topped with the crispy chicken, carrot, cucumber, coriander, sriracha mayo and a drizzle of tamari or all-purpose soy sauce. Add chilli if using.
Note 1 – Bao buns can be found in the supermarket’s freezer section. They are traditionally steamed in a basket over boiling water for 7-8 minutes. If you don’t have a steamer basket, place 3 bao buns at a time on a large dinner plate with a mug or small bowl filled with 1/2 cup of water beside them (on the same plate). Cook on high at 2-minute intervals until soft and fluffy.
Note 2 – The recipe calls for a generous amount of flour as it makes it easier to coat the chicken pieces. You will have some flour left over.
Note 3 – Good quality olive oil can be used for frying (it does produce a denser, heavier crumb). Vegetable oil and canola oil are best for a light, even crumb. Use a deep, heavy-based skillet. It needs to be filled at least 3cm deep with oil. Learn how to clean and reuse your oil here.
MAKE AHEAD – All salads can be prepared 24 hours prior to serving. The chicken and bao buns are best prepared and cooked immediately.
LEFTOVERS – Crispy Chicken Bao Buns are best prepared and enjoyed immediately, however leftovers can be refrigerated up to 3 days. Reheat the chicken in a 180°C fan oven for 10-15 minutes to retain its crispiness. Not suitable for freezing.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins