- Cook the spaghetti as per packet instructions in less than 1 minute (the last minute of cooking will take place in the sauce). Rinse with cold water to stop the pasta from cooking and sticking together.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the breadcrumbs. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes or until golden. Season with 1/2 tsp of salt. Set aside.
- In the same pan, add 2 tbsp olive oil and eggplant. Cook, occasionally stirring, for 5-8 minutes until the eggplant has softened.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp olive oil and minced garlic. Cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add the canned tomatoes and 1.5 cups of water. Cook for 12 minutes with the lid on.
- Remove the lid, and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken. Season with salt and pepper.
- Once the sauce is at the desired consistency, return the spaghetti to the pan and cook for 1 minute to heat through.
- Serve immediately with the crunchy bread crumbs sprinkled on top.
MAKE AHEAD and LEFTOVERS – Eggplant and tomato pasta is best served and eaten immediately. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 2 days. The crumb will soften. Reheat in the microwave. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 6 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: pasta, eggplant pasta, eggplant and tomato pasta
- Method: pan
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Eggplant and Tomato Pasta, Eggplant and Tomato Pasta recipe