- Heat a large, heavy-based skillet on medium heat. Add the olive oil, onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for 3-4 minutes until the onion and garlic have softened.
- Add the rice and tomato paste. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken stock, bring to a gentle simmer. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low, place the lid on and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, allow to stand for 10 minutes with the lid on before fluffing with a fork.
- Sprinkle with fresh jalapeno and coriander (if using) to serve.
MAKE AHEAD AND LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 2 days, freeze in individual portions for up to 2 months. Reheat in the microwave directly from fridge or from frozen until piping hot. Ensure the rice is cooled and refrigerated or frozen within 20 minutes of cooking.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: Side Dish, rice
- Method: pan
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: How to make Mexican Red Rice, Mexican Rice, Tomato Rice