- 1kg chuck steak or gravy beef (or any slow cooker beef), cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil (separated)
- 1 large onion, roughly diced
- 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 500g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- 1 egg, lightly whisked to brush the puff pastry
- Salt and sesame seeds to sprinkle on puff pastry (optional)
- 4 small oven-proof bowls or ramekins for assembling pies
- Sprinkle the beef with salt and pepper.
- Using 1 tbsp of the oil, brown the beef (in batches if needed) in a large skillet on medium-high heat for 8-12 minutes. Set aside.
- Using the remaining 1 tbsp of oil, cook the onion and garlic in the same pan on medium heat until softened, 2-3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the flour, stirring continuously for 30 seconds (it will form a lumpy paste).
Slow cooker method
- Add tomato paste, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock to the slow cooker, and stir to combine.
- Add the cooked beef and mushroom mixture, and stir gently to combine. The beef may not be completely submerged. It will melt into the sauce as it cooks.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Stir in the sour cream for the remaining 15 minutes of cooking time. The beef should be falling apart easily with a fork. If it is not, cook in 15-minute intervals until it is soft.
- Return the beef to the pan and add the tomato paste, paprika, Worcestershire sauce and beef stock.
- Return to a boil and then simmer on the lowest heat for 1.5 hours, lid on. Stir occasionally. If the sauce is sticking to the base of the pan, add 1/2 cup of water.
- Remove the lid and cook for an additional 1 hour to thicken.
- The beef should be falling apart easily with a fork. If it is not, cook in 15-minute intervals until it is soft.
- Once the beef is soft and melting, stir through the sour cream to create a thick, creamy sauce.
- Preheat oven to 200°C fan.
- Fill your bowls/ramekins with the stroganoff.
- Cut the sheet of puff pastry into four even squares.
- Lay the puff pastry straight on top of the bowl/ramekin, and using your fingers, crimp the pastry around the outside of the bowl.
- Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of the pies with egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt (optional).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until pastry is golden and flaky.
- Use oven mitts to remove the pies from the oven. Allow them to stand for 10 minutes before serving.
MAKE AHEAD – Refrigerate the stroganoff pie filling for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely in the fridge overnight before use.
LEFTOVERS – If made fresh, store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave (the puff pastry will soften). Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 4.45 hours
- Category: pies, beef, stroganoff
- Method: skillet, bake
- Cuisine: Russian