- 2 whole butternut pumpkins, sliced in half lengthways
- 2 large onions, cut in half and peeled
- 2 garlic bulbs, skin on, tops sliced off (see note 1)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock (room temperature)
- 1 tsp salt plus extra to season
- 1 tsp pepper plus extra to season
- Sour cream to serve (optional)
- Chives, roughly chopped, to serve (optional)
- Sourdough bread, sliced, to serve (optional)
- Chilli flakes to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan.
- Assemble the pumpkin, onions and garlic on a baking tray. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 1.5 hours or until the pumpkin is soft enough to pierce easily with a fork. Add 1/2 cup of water and cover with foil at the halfway mark. This will ensure the vegetables don’t burn and speed up the cooking time (see note 2).
- Once the vegetables have slightly cooled, use your fingers to squeeze the garlic flesh from their skin.
- Scoop the pumpkin flesh out of its skin with a spoon and transfer to a large pot with the cooked onions and garlic.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Blend to your desired consistency using a stick blender. Bring back up to a gentle simmer to heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper, serve with sourdough bread and top with sour cream, chives and chilli flakes if using.
Note 1 – The garlic skins must be left on. If they are peeled, they will burn. By cutting off the tops, you can squeeze the flesh out of the garlic bulb at the end of the cook directly into your soup before blending.
Note 2 – If the pumpkin is still hard at the end of 1.5 hours, cook it covered in 20-minute intervals until it is soft.
MAKE AHEAD and LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely overnight in the fridge. Reheat on the stovetop or in the microwave.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1.5 hours
- Category: soup, Roasted Pumpkin Soup, pumpkin soup
- Method: bake
Keywords: Roasted Pumpkin Soup, Roasted Pumpkin Soup recipe