Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- 2 whole butternut pumpkins, sliced in half lengthways
- 2 large onions, cut in half and peeled
- 2 garlic bulbs, skin on, tops sliced off (see note 1)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cups chicken stock (or 4 cups water and 2 chicken stock cubes crumbled) – It can be room temperature
- 1 tsp salt plus extra to season
- 1 tsp pepper plus extra to season
- Sour cream to serve (optional)
- Chopped chives to serve (optional)
- Sour dough bread to serve (optional)
- Chilli flakes to serve (optional)
- Preheat oven 180°c fan forced.
- Assemble pumpkin, onions and garlic on baking tray. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 1.5 hours or until pumpkin is soft enough to easily pierce with a fork. At the half way mark, add 1/2 cup of water and cover with foil. This will ensure the vegetables don’t burn and will speed the cooking time. (See note 2).
- Once the vegetables have slightly cooled, use your fingers to squeeze the garlic flesh from its skin.
- Scoop pumpkin flesh out of its skin with a spoon and transfer to a large pot along with the cooked onions and garlic.
- Add the chicken stock or water and stock cubes if using.
- Blend to your desired consistency (I find a stick blender is easiest). Bring back up to a gentle simmer to heat through.
- Season with salt and pepper, serve with sourdough bread and top with sour cream, chives and chilli flakes if using.
Note 1 – The garlic skins must be left on, if they are peeled, they will burn. By cutting off the tops you will be able to squeeze the flesh out of the garlic bulb at the end of the cook, directly into your soup prior to blending.
Note 2 – If at the end of 1.5 hours the pumpkin is still hard, cook it covered, in 20 minute intervals until it is soft.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.