- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt, plus extra to serve
- 4 chicken thigh fillets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- Oil for frying (see note 1)
- Mix together the spices and salt, and sprinkle over both sides of the chicken.
- Dredge the chicken in the buttermilk, followed immediately by the flour. Shake off any excess.
- In a large, deep pan, heat the oil on medium-low heat (don’t be tempted to go too high with the oil, as the chicken will cook too quickly on the outside and will not be cooked on the inside. Medium–low heat is perfect).
- Cook for 4 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden.
- Drain on a paper towel.
- Sprinkle with extra salt to serve (optional).
- Assemble the burgers and serve.
Note 1 – Deep frying is the best way to achieve crispy golden chicken. A high smoke point, neutral oil such as canola or vegetable oil is best. You will need enough oil so that the base of the pan is fully covered and at least 3 cm or 1 and 1/4″ deep. This is a video on how you can clean your oil and reuse it although I usually skip this step, strain the oil and keep it in a jar, refrigerated, until I need to use it again.
Best made and served immediately.
Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or a preheated 180°C/350°F fan oven for 10-15 minutes until heated through. The microwave will soften the coating, whereas the oven will retain some of the crispiness. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 8 mins
- Category: burger, chicken burger
- Method: pan fry, assemble
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Southern Fried Chicken Burger, fried chicken burger, fried chicken burger recipe