Southern Fried Chicken Burger
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt plus extra to serve
- 4 chicken thigh fillets
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups flour
- Oil for frying (any high smoke oil such as canola, vegetable or sunflower oil)
To assemble burgers:
- 4 brioche buns
- 4 slices gouda or burger cheese
- 1/4 cup pickles
- 1/4 head of oakleaf or butter lettuce
- 4 tsp whole egg mayonnaise
- Mix together the spices and salt, sprinkle over both sides of chicken.
- Dredge the chicken in the buttermilk, followed immediately by the flour. Shake off any excess..
- In a large, deep pan, heat the oil on medium heat (don’t be tempted to go to high with the oil, as the chicken will cook too quickly on the outside and will not be cooked on the inside. Medium – low heat is perfect).
- Cook for 4 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden.
- Drain on paper towel.
- Sprinkle with extra salt to serve (optional).
- Assemble the burgers. I like sauce on both the top and bottom of the buns. Pickles first, lettuce, the chicken and lastly the cheese. Enjoy!
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.