Butter Chicken Pot Pie
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp ginger, minced
- 500g chicken thigh, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup pure cream (or thickened cream)
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice
- 1 sheet puff pastry, slightly thawed
- 1 egg, whisked
- 1 tsp each black sesame seeds and salt for pastry topping
- Heat olive oil and butter in a large skillet on medium heat.
- Add onions, garlic and ginger. Cook stirring for 1 minute until fragrant.
- Add chicken, garam masala, cumin, yellow mustard seeds, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook stirring 3-4 minutes until chicken is slightly browned.
- Add tomato paste and cream, stir to combine. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 200c fan-forced. Remove the pastry from the freezer and leave it on your bench to thaw at this point.
- Spoon 1/2 cup of rice into four oven-proof ramekins.
- Top rice with butter chicken mixture.
- Cut the puff pastry sheet into four even squares and top each of the pies with a square pastry. Fold down the edges using your fingers.
- Brush the pastry all over with egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.