Homemade Chicken Nuggets
- 2 x large chicken breasts (approximately 300g each, 600g total)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 4 eggs (see note 2)
- 2.5 cups panko breadcrumbs (note 1)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- Salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 200c (fan forced).
- Lay the chicken breast horizontally facing towards you and cut into roughly 1cm medallions/slices.
- Place the flour in a small bowl, add the chicken and using your hands toss the chicken in the flour so it is evenly coated.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, add the chicken breast so that it is submerged.
- One by one remove the chicken from the egg mixture and press the chicken pieces into the breadcrumbs so that each piece is evenly coated. Use your hands to press the nuggets into the breadcrumbs.
- Place the crumbed chicken nuggets on an oven safe tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle both sides with olive oil.
- Cook 12 minutes turning once half way.
- Season with salt and serve immediately with ketchup, mustard or garlic aioli.
Note 1 – You can use any breadcrumbs you like, I find that panko deliver the crispiest results.
How do I freeze Homemade Chicken Nuggets? I like to freeze these after I have crumbed them. I freeze in an air-tight container with sheets of baking paper in between the layers of Chicken Nuggets to stop them sticking to one another. You can keep the Chicken Nuggets in the freezer for between 2-3 months.
How do I bake Homemade Chicken Nuggets from frozen? Simply follow the recipe instructions but add an additional 5 minutes to your cooking time (cook for 12-17 minutes).
How do I pan fry my nuggets? Follow the recipe directions to step 6. Heat 2-4 tbsp of olive oil on a medium-high heat, cook nuggets in batches for 8-10 minutes turning half way during cooking. Season.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.