- Preheat the oven to a 200°C fan.
- Lay the chicken breast horizontally facing you and cut it into roughly 1cm medallions/slices.
- Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper. Use your hands to coat. Set aside. It’s important not to miss this step first, as the salt helps to soften the chicken and keep it juicy while it bakes in the oven.
- Spread the panko breadcrumbs on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spray the breadcrumbs with olive oil. Bake for 5 minutes. Stir and bake in 2-minute intervals (stirring between intervals) until the crumbs are golden. Allow the breadcrumbs to cool slightly.
- Place the flour in a small bowl, add the chicken and, using your hands, toss it in the flour so it is evenly coated.
- Whisk the eggs in a large bowl, and add the chicken so that it is submerged.
- One by one, remove the chicken from the egg mixture and press the chicken pieces into the golden breadcrumbs so that each piece is evenly coated. Use your hands to press the nuggets into the breadcrumbs.
- Place the crumbed chicken nuggets on an oven-safe tray lined with baking paper. Drizzle (or spray) both sides with olive oil.
- Cook for 12 minutes, turning once halfway.
- Season with salt and serve immediately with ketchup, mustard or garlic aioli.
MAKE AHEAD – Freeze Homemade Chicken Nuggets by following the recipe to step 6. Freeze the chicken nuggets in an air-tight container with sheets of baking paper in between the layers to stop them from sticking to one another. Freeze for up to 2 months. Bake from frozen by following the recipe instructions but add an additional 8-10 minutes to the cooking time.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave – The crumb coating will soften, but the nuggets will be equally delicious.
How do I pan-fry my nuggets? Do not toast the breadcrumbs (skip step 4). Follow the recipe directions in step 6. Heat 2-4 tbsp of olive oil on medium-high heat. Cook nuggets in batches for 8-10 minutes, turning halfway during cooking. Season with salt to taste.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: chicken, side dish, entre
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Baked Chicken Nuggets, Baked Chicken Nugget recipe