- Preheat the oven to a 200°C fan.
- Sprinkle the chicken tenderloins with salt and pepper. Use your hands to coat. Set aside. It’s important not to miss this step first, as the salt helps to soften the chicken and keep it juicy while it bakes in the oven.
- Spread the panko breadcrumbs on a baking tray lined with baking paper. Spray the breadcrumbs with olive oil. Bake for 5 minutes. Stir and bake in 2-minute intervals (stirring between intervals) until the crumbs are golden. Allow the breadcrumbs to cool slightly.
- Dredge the chicken in flour, followed by the egg and then press the chicken into the toasted, golden breadcrumbs to coat evenly.
- Place the chicken on a wire rack, spray again liberally with oil and bake in the oven for 12 minutes.
- Serve with honey mustard dipping sauce (1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise, 1 tbsp heaped dijon mustard, 1 tsp honey, 1 tsp lemon juice, salt and pepper to season).
Note 1 – Chicken breast can be used. Cut the chicken breast lengthwise into long strips and pound it using a mallet or rolling pin to be approximately 1.5cm thick.
MAKE AHEAD – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 2 months. Follow steps 1-4, then freeze the chicken tenders in an air-tight container with baking paper between the layers to stop the pieces from sticking together. Thaw completely in the fridge overnight and bake as per recipe instructions. Alternatively, bake from frozen. Increase the cooking time from 12 minutes to a total of 18 minutes. The results are not as crisp as freshly made tenders, but they come very close and are delicious.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate cooked chicken tenders for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 17 mins
- Category: chicken, baked chicken, crispy chicken
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders, Crispy Baked Chicken Tenders recipe, Crispy Chicken Tenders