- 10 bamboo skewers
- 500 g chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tbsp mild curry powder
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
No-cook peanut dipping sauce
- 1/2 cup natural smooth peanut butter
- 1/4 cup sweet chilli sauce
- 1 tbsp tamari or all-purpose soy sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 2–3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp crushed peanuts (see note 1)
- Crushed peanuts
- Lime wedges
- Steamed rice
- Cucumber slices
- Red onion slices
- Fresh chilli (optional)
- Soak the skewers in water for 10 minutes while you prepare the remaining ingredients.
- Place the chicken, curry powder, coconut milk, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Toss to coat. Thread the chicken onto the skewers (4-5 pieces on each skewer).
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-high heat. Cook the chicken in batches for 8-10 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Combine the peanut sauce ingredients in a small bowl using a whisk. Add water until the sauce is creamy and at your desired consistency. It can be warmed on the stove if preferred (2-3 additional tablespoons of water will be required).
- Pile the chicken satay onto a platter. Serve a bowl of the dipping sauce on the side and scatter with crushed peanuts. Serve with lime wedges, steamed rice, cucumber slices, red onion slices, coriander and fresh chilli if using.
Note 1 – I like to buy peanuts in their shell–they last so much longer in the pantry. Simply peel on demand and chop roughly using your kitchen knife.
Refrigerate marinated skewers for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight and cook as per the recipe. Prepare the sauce and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw in the fridge overnight.
Refrigerate cooked chicken and peanut sauce in separate containers for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven. Not suitable for freezing once prepared.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Fry, BBQ, Grill
- Cuisine: Singaporean
Keywords: chicken satay, chicken satay skewers