- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup cooking sake
- 1/4 cup tamari (or light soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 800g skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets (approximately 800g) (note 1)
- 1 cup edamame beans (see note 2)
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- Jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 tsp white and black sesame seeds (optional)
- Sliced fresh chilli (optional)
- In a small bowl, make the teriyaki sauce. Stir to combine the mirin, cooking sake, tamari and brown sugar until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Heat a large skillet on high heat, add the olive oil and chicken, and cook for 8 minutes until browned, turning once halfway.
- Add the teriyaki sauce to the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
- Turn the chicken, and cook for another minute or until the sauce is caramelised and glossy.
- Slice the chicken before serving, and serve with edamame beans, shredded red cabbage, carrot, and rice. Top with a dollop of mayonnaise and sprinkle with sesame seeds and fresh chilli if using. Drizzle with pan juices.
Note 1 – Trim excess fat and pound the chicken using a mallet or rolling pin to even out the thickness.
Note 2 – Find edamame beans in the freezer section of your supermarket. They are already peeled and ready to use, defrost as per the packet instructions.
MAKE AHEAD – Marinate the chicken and refrigerate up to 2 days. Freeze up to 2 months. Thaw completely in the fridge overnight prior to cooking.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate cooked chicken up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: chicken, bowl, terriyaki
- Method: pan sear
- Cuisine: Japanese
Keywords: Chicken Teriyaki Bowl, Chicken Teriyaki Bowl recipe, Chicken Teriyaki recipe