Chicken Teriyaki Bowl
Like many of us, I used to buy teriyaki marinade. The individual ingredients to make my own were too expensive, difficult to find at the shops, or I didn’t think I had time… I was wrong. Not only is this super easy and quick to get out on the dinner table, but it’s also better value! The taste is authentic and better than any store-bought marinade I’ve tried… Plus, you get the satisfaction of knowing exactly what is in yours! I love teriyaki served up in a bowl just like this. Try the recipe with beef or tofu – Equally delicious!
- Total Time: 27 mins
- Yield: 4-6 1x
- 1/4 cup mirin
- 1/4 cup cooking sake
- 1/4 cup tamari (or light soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 800g skinless, boneless chicken thigh fillets (approximately 800g) (note 1)
- 1 cup edamame beans (see note 2)
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1 cup carrot, julienned
- Jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 tsp white and black sesame seeds (optional)
- Sliced fresh chilli (optional)
- In a small bowl, make the teriyaki sauce. Stir to combine the mirin, cooking sake, tamari and brown sugar until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Heat a large skillet on high heat, add the olive oil and chicken, and cook for 8 minutes until browned, turning once halfway.
- Add the teriyaki sauce to the pan. Cook for 1 minute.
- Turn the chicken, and cook for another minute or until the sauce is caramelised and glossy.
- Slice the chicken before serving, and serve with edamame beans, shredded red cabbage, carrot, and rice. Top with a dollop of mayonnaise and sprinkle with sesame seeds and fresh chilli if using. Drizzle with pan juices.
Note 1 – Trim excess fat and pound the chicken using a mallet or rolling pin to even out the thickness.
Note 2 – Find edamame beans in the freezer section of your supermarket. They are already peeled and ready to use, defrost as per the packet instructions.
MAKE AHEAD – Marinate the chicken and refrigerate up to 2 days. Freeze up to 2 months. Thaw completely in the fridge overnight prior to cooking.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate cooked chicken up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins