Chicken Teriyaki Bowl
- 6 chicken thigh fillets (800g) (see note 1)
- 1/4 cup mirin (see note 2)
- 1/4 cup cooking sake (see note 3)
- 1/4 cup tamari (or light soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup edamame beans (see note 4)
- 1 cup shredded red cabbage
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- Jasmine rice
- 1/2 cup whole egg mayonnaise (optional)
- 1 tsp white and black sesame seeds (optional)
- Sliced fresh chilli (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine teriyaki sauce ingredients. Stir the mirin, cooking sake, tamari and brown sugar until the brown sugar is dissolved.
- Heat a large skillet on high heat, add olive oil once hot.
- Add chicken to pan, cook 4 minutes.
- Turn chicken, cook further 4 minutes or until browned.
- Add teriyaki sauce. Cook 1 minute.
- Turn chicken, cook further 1 minute or until the sauce is caramelised and glossy.
- Slice chicken before serving, serve with edamame beans, shredded red cabbage, shredded carrot and rice. Top with a dollop of mayonnaise and sprinkle with sesame seeds and fresh chilli if using. Pour over any remaining sauce in the pan on the chicken.
Note 1: Chicken thigh fillets work best with this recipe as they don’t dry out. I trim any excess fat and slice into the thick side horizontally to speed cooking time (almost butterflying it).
Note 2: You can find mirin in the international section of your local supermarket.
Note 3: You can find cooking sake in the international section of your local supermarket.
Note 4: You can find edamame beans in the freezer section of your supermarket. They are already peeled and ready to use, you simply need to defrost as per the packet instructions. I serve them warm.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.