- 2 chicken breasts, halved lengthways
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic, freshly minced
- 2 large zucchini, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup semi-dried tomatoes
- 300ml thickened/heavy cream
- 1 cup parmesan, freshly grated
- 500g fresh gnocchi (see note 2)
- 2 tbsp store bought or homemade pesto
- Extra salt and pepper to season, to taste
- Use a mallet or rolling pin to pound the chicken so that it is an even thickness if needed. Sprinkle the chicken with the thyme, paprika, salt and pepper. Use your hands to rub all over as evenly as you can (this is a dry rub).
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy based skillet on medium-high heat, cook the chicken for 8-10 minutes until just cooked, turning once half way (see note 1 for help). Set aside.
- Add 2 tbsp of water to the pan to scrape up any sticky bits, add the garlic, cook for 30 seconds, stirring.
- Add the zucchini and cook for 2 minutes until softened.
- Stir through the semi-dried tomatoes, followed by the cream and parmesan. Bring to a gentle simmer, add the gnocchi.
- Cook with the lid on for 2-5 minutes or until the gnocchi is cooked through.
- Stir through the pesto, season to taste, top with the cooked chicken, basil sprigs and an extra sprinkle of parmesan cheese.
Note 1 – It’s important that the chicken is cooked at a medium-high heat and not too high otherwise the spices will very quickly burn. If you find that the pan is getting too sticky and crispy, add 2 tbsp of water and cook the chicken with the lid on for the last 3 minutes of cooking (this will cook the chicken more quickly and stop it burning).
Note 2 – Fresh gnocchi in the refrigerated section of the supermarket must be used (the type that takes 2-5 minutes to cook). This recipe will not work with any other variety.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: chicken
- Method: pan fry
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Creamy Chicken Pesto Gnocchi, Chicken Pesto Gnocchi