To prepare the potatoes:
- Add the whole potatoes (skin on) and 1/2 cup of tap water in a large, microwave-safe container. Place the lid on slightly ajar and cook in the microwave for 10 mins. You should easily be able to pierce the potatoes with a fork once cooked. If firm, continue cooking in 2-minute intervals (see note 1 for stovetop method).
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, use a butter knife to peel the skin off, it will slip off easily.
- Slice the potatoes into rounds and layer them in a baking dish (you will need a dish approximately 25cm x 15cm).
To make the creamy sauce:
- Preheat the oven grill.
- Heat the unsalted butter in a small pot on low heat. Once it is melted, add the flour. Stir for 1 minute until a paste is formed.
- Add the milk and stir using a whisk. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cook, stirring for 6-8 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce is nice and thick and coats the back of a spoon, it’s ready. Add the chicken stock powder and whisk until it’s dissolved.
- Pour the sauce straight on top of the potatoes taking care to distribute it evenly.
- Top with cheese and thyme leaves.
- Place under the grill for 2-4 minutes until the cheese has bubbled and turned golden. Serve.
Note 1 – Stovetop potatoes: Place the potatoes in a large pot, and cover them with water, so they are submerged by at least 5 cm of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer between 20-25 minutes until they are easily pierced with a fork. Drain and set aside, ready to use.
MAKE AHEAD – Once the potato bake is cooked, allow it to cool completely. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Assemble the potato bake, cover with foil and cook covered in a 180°C fan oven for 30 – 45 minutes until heated through. Grill for 2-4 minutes until the cheese has bubbled and turned golden.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Category: potato, side dish, easy potato bake
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Easy Cheat’s Potato Bake, Easy Cheat’s Potato Bake recipe