Easy Cheat’s Potato Bake
The great thing about my easy cheat’s potato bake recipe (apart from the fact that it’s absolutely delicious!) is that it doesn’t require several hours in the oven. It’s made using steamed potatoes cooked in the microwave, which speeds up the cooking time. Great for an indulgent mid-week meal, a relaxing weekend dish or for entertaining!
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Serves: 4-6 1x
- 1 kg potatoes (any variety), washed, skin on
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp cup plain flour
- 2.5 cups full cream milk
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder
- 1 cup tasty or colby cheese, freshly grated
- Sprig of thyme leaves removed (optional)
To prepare the potatoes:
- Add the whole potatoes (skin on) and 1/2 cup of tap water in a large, microwave-safe container. Place the lid on slightly ajar and cook in the microwave for 10 mins. You should easily be able to pierce the potatoes with a fork once cooked. If firm, continue cooking in 2-minute intervals (see note 1 for stovetop method).
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, use a butter knife to peel the skin off, it will slip off easily.
- Slice the potatoes into rounds and layer them in a baking dish (you will need a dish approximately 25cm x 15cm).
To make the creamy sauce:
- Preheat the oven grill.
- Heat the unsalted butter in a small pot on low heat. Once it is melted, add the flour. Stir for 1 minute until a paste is formed.
- Add the milk and stir using a whisk. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and cook, stirring for 6-8 minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Once the sauce is nice and thick and coats the back of a spoon, it’s ready. Add the chicken stock powder and whisk until it’s dissolved.
- Pour the sauce straight on top of the potatoes taking care to distribute it evenly.
- Top with cheese and thyme leaves.
- Place under the grill for 2-4 minutes until the cheese has bubbled and turned golden. Serve.
Note 1 – Stovetop potatoes: Place the potatoes in a large pot, and cover them with water, so they are submerged by at least 5 cm of water. Bring to a boil and then simmer between 20-25 minutes until they are easily pierced with a fork. Drain and set aside, ready to use.
MAKE AHEAD – Once the potato bake is cooked, allow it to cool completely. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Assemble the potato bake, cover with foil and cook covered in a 180°C fan oven for 30 – 45 minutes until heated through. Grill for 2-4 minutes until the cheese has bubbled and turned golden.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins