Easy Cheat’s Potato Bake
- 1 kg potatoes (you can use any variety), washed, skin on
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp cup plain flour
- 2.5 cups full cream milk
- 1 chicken stock cube (or 1 tsp chicken stock powder)
- 1 cup tasty or colby cheese
- Sprig of thyme, leaves removed (optional)
- Place potatoes (skin on) in a large, microwave safe container. (If you don’t have a container large enough, you may need to repeat this process twice).
- Add 1/2 cup water and either place lid on slightly ajar or cover the container loosely with cling wrap.
- Cook in the microwave for 10 minutes (note 1).
- Once the potatoes are cool enough to handle, use a butter knife to peel the skin off, it will slip off easily.
- Slice the potatoes into rounds and layer in a baking dish (mine was approximately 25cm x 15cm).
To make the creamy sauce:
- Preheat oven grill to maximum heat.
- Heat butter in a small pot on low heat. Once it is melted, add the flour. Stir until you form a paste (this will take 1 minute).
- Add the milk and stir using a whisk. This is important so that you don’t end up with a lumpy sauce. Continue stirring over the lowest heat setting until the sauce begins to thicken. This will take between 6-8 minutes.
- Once the sauce is nice and thick and coats the back of a spoon, it’s ready! Add the stock cube and whisk until it’s dissolved
- Pour the sauce straight on top of the potatoes taking care to distribute it evenly.
- Top with cheese.
- Place under grill for 2-4 minutes until cheese has bubbled and turned golden.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves if using.
Note 1 – If you would prefer to boil the potatoes, simply place the potatoes in a large pot and cover with cold tap water. Bring up to the boil and simmer for 20 minutes or until the potatoes a soft enough to pierce with a fork. Drain potatoes and once cool enough to handle, peel skin using a butter knife. It will slip off easily.
Can this potato bake be prepared in advance? Yes! After you have cooked the potato bake, allow it to cool and cover. It will keep in the refrigerator between 2-3 days. Reheat in a preheated 180c fan forced oven for 15-20 minutes.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.