Gnocchi Bolognese Bake
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 500g beef mince
- 1.5 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup white wine (or substitute with 1 cup beef stock)
- 1/2 cup full cream milk (see note 1)
- 2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 500g fresh potato gnocchi
- 200g fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup basil, leaves picked
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (200°C fan).
- Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a large, oven proof pan. Add the onions, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Turn the heat to high, add the beef and cook 2-3 minutes until browned, season with salt and pepper.
- Add the white wine, cook for 2 minutes until it has mostly evaporated.
- Add the full cream milk, chopped tomatoes and beef stock. Bring the sauce to the boil before reducing the heat to low so the sauce is simmering gently. Cook uncovered for 30 minutes, adding 1/4 cup of water if the sauce begins to stick to the base of the pan (see note 2 for a slow simmer option).
- Stir through the gnocchi, top with mozzarella slices and oven bake for 15 minutes or until golden and bubbly.
- Top with fresh basil and freshly grated parmesan before serving.
Note 1 – Milk adds a richness and depth to Bolognese sauce, helps to tenderise the meat and also helps to remove the acidity from the tomatoes. If you would prefer not to use it, simply omit it from the recipe (no substitute is required).
Note 2 – The longer the cooking time, the more intense and flavourful. You could leave this on the stove-top for up to 3-4 hours. Just make sure you stir it every half an hour and add 1/4 cup of water if the sauce is sticking to the base of the pan.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.