- 1.2kg bone-in chicken thigh cutlets, skin on (5-6 chicken thigh cutlets)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp dried herbs (oregano, thyme or Italian herb mix)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1.5 cups white rice (jasmine or basmati)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Fresh coriander or parsley, roughly chopped to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to a 180°C fan.
- Place the chicken in a large bowl. Add the olive oil, dried herbs of choice, paprika, onion powder, smoked paprika, pepper and salt. Use your hands to evenly coat the chicken in the marinade.
- In an oven-safe, heavy-based skillet, sear the chicken on medium heat for 3-5 minutes until it is golden and crispy on the outside. Set aside.
- To the same pan, add the onion and garlic (if your pan is sticky, see note 2). Cook for 1-2 minutes until softened. Add the tomato paste and rice. Stir to combine. Add the chicken stock.
- Return the chicken to the pot, ensuring the chicken skin is facing up. Put the lid on or cover the pan tightly with foil (use two layers if you need). Cook in the oven for 35 minutes.
- Remove the lid, and cook in the oven for a further 10 minutes.
- Let it stand a further 10 minutes before eating, and top with coriander or parsley if using.
- To make the cucumber salad, combine all the ingredients and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Note 1 – This recipe is not suited to chicken breast (it will dry out), but a great substitute is boneless chicken thigh fillet. Boneless chicken thighs will cook at a quicker rate. Add the chicken thighs to the rice 20 minutes into the baking time.
Note 2 – If there is caramelised residue and oil in the pan after searing the chicken, leave it in the pan (it’s extra flavour). Otherwise, use a paper towel to drain the oil and wipe the pan clean if preferred. If the pan is too sticky to continue cooking the onion, while on high heat, add 1/4 cup of water to the pan and use a spoon to help scrape up all the crispy bits. Continue cooking as per the recipe.
MAKE AHEAD AND LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Category: chicken, one pot meal,
- Method: deep pan
- Cuisine: Mediterranean
Keywords: chicken and tomato rice, one pan chicken and rice, paprika chicken and rice