One Pot Greek Chicken and Rice
This one-pot meal features tender chicken that’s been infused with zesty lemon and garlic flavours, cooked to perfection on a bed of fluffy rice. Every bite is packed with flavour as the chicken juices seep into the rice. I like to serve it with crumbled feta on top for a creamy and tangy finish. This meal is delicious and easy to prepare, making it the perfect dinner option for a busy weeknight that your whole family will enjoy.
- Total Time: 32 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 600g boneless chicken thigh fillets (approximately 5-6 chicken thighs, see note 1 for alternatives)
- 1 tsp garlic, freshly minced
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp sweet paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3 tbsp lemon juice, plus the zest of one whole lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp garlic, freshly minced
- 1.5 cups white rice (jasmine or basmati)
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups spinach leaves, roughly chopped (see note 2 for substitutions)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley or fresh oregano, finely chopped
- Fresh lemon slices and lemon zest to serve (optional)
- Feta cheese to serve (optional)
- Place the chicken thigh fillets in a large bowl with the garlic, oregano, paprika, salt pepper, lemon juice, lemon zest and olive oil. Use your hands to coat the chicken evenly.
- Heat a large, heavy-based oven-proof skillet on medium heat. Cook the chicken for 5-8 minutes until golden, and set aside.
- Add 1-2 tbsp of water to the same pan to deglaze, loosen all the sticky bits, and then add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes, until softened.
- Add the rice, chicken stock, spinach and pepper. Return the chicken to the pan. Place the lid on and reduce the heat to the lowest heat setting. Cook for 20 minutes.
- Allow to stand with the lid on for 10 minutes. This will allow for any residual liquid to be absorbed.
- Top with freshly chopped parsley or oregano, sliced fresh lemon, lemon zest and feta (if using).
Note 1 – Chicken breast can also be used but does not produce results that are as succulent and juicy. It tends to be a little bit dryer.
Note 2 – Substitute the vegetables to suit your taste – spinach, kale, silverbeet, sliced green beans, diced zucchini, peas, or broccoli florets work well.
MAKE AHEAD – The chicken can be marinated 48 hours before cooking.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 28 mins
Love this recipe! Super simple and the flavors taste amazing. Was a winner with all of the family.
So fantastic to hear, It’s a favourite at our place too! Thank you so much x
Just curious what side (veggies) you would put with this dish to make it a full meal? I’m always keen to get veggies in with kids.
I love this with steamed greens drizzled with olive oil, lemon juice and salt (my kids love broccolini or green beans). But I also love it with a simple green salad dressed with S&P, olive oil and apple cider vinegar. The acidic dressing works so well with the feta and rice. I hope that helps! ❤️
I’ve just discovered your recipes and I’ve already made a few. Have loved them so far and this Greek chicken is on high rotation, the family loves it. I’ve cooked it in a camp oven on the fire and came out even better! Mmmmm