I absolutely love traditional Pad Thai. It was always a dish I would order out, and making it at home never appealed to me. Making it from scratch requires a few specialty ingredients that end up sitting in my fridge and not getting used up. I have tried many packet sauces, but none compare to the Ayam Hawker Pad Thai I use in this recipe. I have made this many times, and it is simple and quick to throw together with minimal effort. The best thing about it is how authentic and delicious the taste is.
- Total Time: 20 mins
- Yield: 2-3 1x
- A sachet of Ayam Hawker Pad Thai sauce
- 250g Pad Thai noodles
- 300g chicken breast thinly sliced (note 1)
- 1 egg whisked
- 3 tbsp oil, divided (I used olive oil, but you can also use canola, vegetable or peanut oil)
- 1 spring onion, cut into 2cm batons
- 250g fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 bunch of coriander leaves
- 1 lime, cut into quarters
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes to serve (optional)
- Sliced fresh chilli to serve (optional)
- Cook Pad Thai noodles as per packet instructions less 3 minutes (this stops them from going soggy once in the pan).
- Heat a large skillet on high heat. Once the pan is hot, add 2 tbsp of oil and the chicken breast. Cook for 2-3 mins until sealed and lightly browned (the inside will still be raw, which is fine, it will continue cooking).
- Push the chicken to the side, and add the remaining oil and egg. Cook until the egg is firm for 1 minute.
- Add the Ayam Hawker Pad Thai sauce to combine the chicken and egg. Cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked noodles, spring onion & half the bean sprouts to the pan. Toss gently to combine, and remove from heat.
- Serve immediately with crushed peanuts (supplied with Ayam Hawker Pad Thai sauce). Garnish each plate with fresh remaining bean sprouts, coriander, lime and chilli if using.
Note 1 – Cut the chicken breast roughly 0.5cm thick. This recipe also works beautifully with tofu or prawns.
MAKE AHEAD AND LEFTOVERS – Pad Thai is best cooked and served immediately. Leftovers can be refrigerated for up to two days. Reheat in the microwave. The noodles will soften, but the meal will still be delicious.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins