- 400 g chicken breast, cut into thin schnitzels (approximately 1 cm or 1/2” thick)
- 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs (not panko)
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- Spray olive oil
- 4 burger buns
- 4 tbsp whole egg mayonnaise
- 2 cups lettuce, shredded
- 4 slices gouda cheese
- 4 tbsp chilli oil (optional)
- Place the chicken breast schnitzels on a flat surface. Cover with a sheet of baking paper and use a mallet or rolling pin to pound them to an even thickness (approximately 1 cm or 1/2″ thick).
- Add the fine breadcrumbs, flour, salt and sweet paprika to another large sheet of baking paper and combine the ingredients using a spoon.
- Dredge each piece of chicken in the breadcrumb mixture using the baking paper to help, ready for the next piece of chicken. Ensure all sides of the chicken are evenly coated and shake off any excess.
- Heat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and spray generously with olive oil. Cook the chicken for 4-5 minutes or until golden and cooked through, turning once halfway, adding more spray oil if needed.
- Serve the chicken on burger buns with whole egg mayonnaise, shredded lettuce, gouda cheese and chilli oil, if using.
Chicken – Refrigerate uncooked chicken schnitzels for up to 2 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw completely in the fridge overnight and then cook as per the recipe.
Lettuce – Wash, dry and shred the lettuce so it’s ready for when you need it. Store in a reusable sandwich bag or air-tight container with a sheet of paper towel to absorb excess moisture. It will keep fresh for up to 3 days.
Refrigerate cooked chicken schnitzels for up to 2 days. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
Keywords: Portuguese chicken burger