This potato gratin recipe is always a hit with my extended family. I make two trays when we are all together because one just isn’t enough! Traditionally, thinly sliced potatoes are arranged horizontally in potato gratin, but in my version, the vertical placement allows for a superior crispy golden crust. The balance between tender and crunchy potatoes in a rich, creamy, cheesy sauce is divine.
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 6-8 1x
- 1.5kg potatoes, any variety, peeled and thinly sliced (see note 1)
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2 cups pouring cream
- 1 tbsp garlic, freshly minced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup melting cheese (tasty)
- 4 thyme sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 180°c fan forced.
- In a medium-sized baking dish, arrange the potatoes vertically.
- Combine the butter, pouring cream, garlic and salt in a jug and pour directly over the potatoes.
- Sprinkle with thyme leaves, followed by the cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 hour and 15 mins.
- Remove the foil and grill for 15 minutes or until golden (keep an eye on it during the grilling process).
Make ahead instructions: Cook as per the recipe, cover with foil and refrigerate up to 48 hours before your event. Cover and reheat in a 180°c fan oven for 45 minutes or until warmed.
Note 1 – Use a sharp knife to slice the potatoes (slice them as thinly as possible, aiming for 3mm thick), or use a mandolin slicer or food processor.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
Oh my gosh, this potato bake is just divine! Putting the potatoes standing up is just a stroke of pure genius! Honestly I woke make potato bake any other way ever again. I’m converting everyone each time I serve it. LOVE THIS!
Ahh I am smiling from ear to ear reading this! Thank you so much for taking the time to write, I am so glad you love it as much as we do! x