Roasted Chicken with Gravy
Roasted chicken is a meal that rotates on our meal plan at least once a fortnight. There is something so wholesome and comforting about a roasted dinner. Regardless of the season, it’s so lovely to come home after a long day and enjoy perfectly cooked chicken and a big plate of roasted potatoes. It may look complicated, but this is one of the easiest dinners to make. The oven does all the hard work, and this method takes next to no time to prepare.
- Total Time: 1 hour 55mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 whole chicken (1.2kg – 1.8kg)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried herbs of choice (thyme or oregano)
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 tsp chicken stock powder (or salt)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 thick slices of fresh lemon
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut in half lengthways
- 2 brown or red onions, cut in half or large quarters
- 1 whole garlic bulb, sliced in half (leave the skin on)
- Fresh thyme to serve (optional)
- Cooking twine (optional, note 1)
- 2 tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Pan drippings
- 2 cups water
- Preheat the oven to a 180°C fan.
- Place the chicken in a large baking dish and pat it dry with a paper towel. This helps to crisp up the skin.
- Sprinkle the chicken with the paprika, your herb of choice, pepper, and chicken stock powder (or salt) and drizzle with olive oil. Use your hands to rub the marinade all over the chicken evenly.
- Stuff the two lemon rounds into the cavity of the chicken and tie the legs with twine (it’s not essential to tie the legs, see note 1).
- Surround the chicken with the roasting vegetables (carrots, brown or red onions and garlic).
- Roast for 1 hour and 30 minutes. Add 1/2 cup of water at the 45-minute mark. Shuffle the vegetables and chicken around when the water is added. This is important. It will stop the vegetables from burning.
- Once the chicken is cooked, set it aside loosely covered with foil while you prepare the gravy. Allow the chicken to rest for at least 10 minutes to ensure it is succulent and soft.
- Place the baking tray with vegetables on the stove. If you don’t have a baking tray compatible with your stovetop, see note 2.
- Add the flour and cook, stirring for 1 minute, until a paste forms.
- Add the chicken stock. Simmer for 2-3 minutes, occasionally stirring until the gravy thickens. If the gravy is too thick, slowly add more water, 1 tbsp at a time.
- Once the gravy is at your desired consistency, use a sieve to strain it. Push as much vegetable mix as possible through the sieve to create a thick gravy.
- Serve the gravy alongside the roasted chicken. Sprinkle with fresh thyme to serve (if using).
- Try serving with these incredible crispy potatoes and steamed green beans.
Note 1 – Do I need to truss my chicken when roasting? No. For a quick dinner, trussing isn’t necessary. The twine assists in sealing in the juices and allows the chicken to cook more evenly (it stops too much hot air circulating inside the cavity, stopping the chicken breast from cooking too quickly and drying out). The cooking twine is optional and not essential.
Note 2 – If you don’t have a baking tray compatible with your stove top, pour the pan drippings and vegetables into a large pan instead.
How do I cook a whole chicken in the air fryer? Use the same method as above to marinate the chicken. Place the chicken in the air fryer basket and cook at 180°C for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Allow the chicken to rest for at least 10 minutes uncovered before carving and serving.
MAKE AHEAD – Marinate and refrigerate the chicken for up to 48 hours before cooking.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 1.45 hours
I have been making this recipe for a long time now after seeing you make it on IG, hubby’s favourite!!
I make it at least once every few weeks too – I love knowing it’s a hit with your family too. Thanks so much for trying the recipe and taking the time to write! Nic x
I have NEVER made a roast chicken before, but I’ve used Nic’s recipes a LOT, so thought I’d try it. Omg, *chef’s kiss!! It was SO easy & I got 3 wow’s around our table tonight! Will absolutely use again 😍
I have goosebumps reading this! I’m so excited for you having the confidence to give it a go and I’m even more excited that you loved it and will make it again! So amazing, thank you so much for taking the time to write – Day made x