- 100g vermicelli rice noodles (optional)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 500g pork (or chicken mince)
- 2 tbsp tamari (or all-purpose soy sauce)
- 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup of frozen peas
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/2 cup bean sprouts
- 220g tin water chestnuts, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced (plus extra to garnish)
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Lettuce cups – gem lettuce (pictured) or oak leaf works best
- Crushed peanuts to serve
- Lime wedges to serve
- Red chilli, sliced to serve (optional)
- Prepare the noodles (if using) as per the packet instructions, rinse with cold water and cut with scissors into small strands. Set aside.
- Heat the oil on high heat in a large skillet, add the garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds.
- Add the pork mince and cook for 3-4 minutes until browned.
- Add the tamari (or all-purpose soy sauce), dark soy sauce and brown sugar. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the frozen peas, grated carrot, bean sprouts and water chestnuts (if using). Cook for 1 minute or until the peas have thawed.
- Add the rice noodles (if using), spring onion and sesame oil. Stir to combine.
- Serve the san choy bow heaped in lettuce cups, topped with extra sliced spring onion, crushed peanuts, lime wedges on the side and sliced red chilli if using.
MAKE AHEAD AND LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave. Not suitable to freeze.
- Category: Asian, entré
- Method: skillet
- Cuisine: Chinese
Keywords: San Choy Bow, San Choy Bow recipe