Slow Cooked Beef Ragu
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1kg beef chuck steak, cut into roughly 2cm x 2cm cubes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 700g passata
- 2 cups beef broth/stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Pasta to serve (rigatoni pictured)
- Parmesan cheese to serve
- Heat the olive oil on a medium-high heat in a heavy based, deep skillet that has a lid.
- Add the onions, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Turn the heat to high, add the beef chuck steak and cook stirring for 2-3 minutes until sealed.
- Add the red wine, tomato paste, passata, beef broth/stock, salt, pepper, dried thyme and bay leaves. Stir to combine and bring to a gentle boil.
- Place lid on, reduce to lowest heat setting and cook 2.5 hours or until beef is tender enough to be easily shredded with two forks.
- Shred beef with two forks and serve with your favourite pasta and parmesan cheese.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.