Slow Cooked Beef Ragu
There is nothing quite like a homemade, Slow Cooked Beef Ragu. One pan does all the hard work, simmering the beef and tomato until it’s so tender that it falls apart with the touch of a fork. The preparation is simple, but the result is a perfect hearty sauce piled over a bed of pasta or served with a crusty piece of bread. This comforting dish can be made ahead of time, making it the perfect family dinner for busy weeknights or relaxed weekends.
- Total Time: 2 hours 55 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 brown onions, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, finely diced
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 1kg beef chuck steak, cut into roughly 2cm x 2cm cubes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup tomato paste
- 700g passata
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- Pasta to serve (rigatoni pictured)
- Parmesan cheese to serve
- Heat the olive oil on medium-high heat in a heavy-based, deep skillet with a lid.
- Add the onions, carrot, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring for 3-5 minutes until softened.
- Turn the heat to high, add the beef chuck steak and cook, stirring for 2-3 minutes until sealed.
- Add the red wine, tomato paste, passata, beef stock, salt, pepper, dried thyme and bay leaves. Stir to combine and bring to a gentle boil.
- Place lid on, reduce to lowest heat setting and cook 2.5 hours or until beef is tender enough to be easily shredded with two forks.
- Shred beef with two forks and serve with your favourite pasta and parmesan cheese.
MAKE AHEAD AND LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely overnight in the fridge to reheat. Reheat on the stove or in the microwave.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 2 hours 45 mins
My goodness, this was delicious!! I actually just popped it all into my slow cooker for 6 hrs and wowsers, a perfect, stress free, family dinner! My 2yo even loved it!
Can’t wait to start making more x
Oh wow – Delicious! I am so glad it got the tick of approval, especially from your little one! Fantastic idea popping it in the slow cooker. Thank you so much for trying the recipe and taking the time to comment! x
Simply yummy!!! Next time I think I’ll try it with some mushrooms!
Ohh YES that sounds so delicious! Thank you so much x
Sounds so good! I’m going to try this tonight in the slow cooker! Would you suggest to just sear the meat and then throw everything in?
I’d love to hear how this turned out! 😍 Such a great idea popping it into the slow cooker! I would definitely sear the beef for maximum flavour and would probably follow the recipe up until step 3. At this point I would add the red wine and let that cook out and reduce by half and then I would transfer to the slow cooker with the remaining ingredients. It would need at least 8 hours on low in the slow cooker. I’ll definitely be giving it a go myself! Nic x