Spinach and Feta Rolls
Looking for a quick and easy snack that’s both tasty and nutritious? Look no further than these spinach and feta rolls! Made with just a few simple ingredients, including fresh spinach, feta cheese, and flaky puff pastry, these rolls are easy to whip up in no time. Enjoy them as is, or pair them with your favourite condiments, such as ketchup or spicy tomato chutney.
- Total Time: 34 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 sheet of frozen puff pastry
- 120g fresh spinach (approximately 3 cups)
- 200g danish feta cheese
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 egg whisked (reserve approx 1.5 tbsp for brushing on top of the rolls)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds plus extra to sprinkle on top
- 1/2 tsp salt plus extra to sprinkle on top
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
The recipe makes approximately 12 sausage rolls, as per the picture.
- Preheat the oven to a 200°C fan. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Take the puff pastry out of the freezer to thaw while you prepare the spinach and feta filling.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet on medium-high heat. Add the spinach leaves and 1/4 cup of water. Cook for 30 seconds to 1 minute, stirring gently, allowing the spinach leaves to wilt. Remove from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a medium-sized bowl, combine the feta, breadcrumbs, egg, fennel seeds, salt and pepper.
- Once the spinach is cool, squeeze out any excess water with your hands and chop roughly. Add to the mixture, using your hands to combine thoroughly.
- Cut the puff pastry sheet straight down the middle in half. You will be left with two long rectangular pieces.
- Lay out the rectangles of pastry, the short edge closest to you and create a log shape of filling down the middle of the pastry. Ensure the filling is tight and compact without any gaps. Repeat the same with the other rectangle.
- Using the plastic backing of the puff pastry, roll up each rectangle into a log and seal it using your fingers.
- Cut each log into 6 equal size lengths ensuring they are seam side down on the baking tray.
MAKE AHEAD – Follow the recipe up to step 9. Refrigerate for up to 24 hours in an airtight container. Use baking paper between layers to stop the rolls from sticking. Cook as per recipe (brush with egg wash and sprinkle with fennel seeds and salt before cooking). Alternatively, cook from frozen, increase the cooking time by 15 minutes or cook until crisp and golden.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate cooked Spinach and Feta rolls for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave (the pastry will soften) or reheat in the oven. It also can be eaten cold. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 8 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins