My kids love sushi, but my previous attempts at making sushi rolls at home haven’t been successful. I either end up making giant rolls or they fall apart! Never fear – Onigirazu, “Japanese Sandwich”, is where it’s at! They have the same delicious flavours as sushi but are much easier to make. These sushi sandwiches are a great healthy lunch idea! Simply lay out your ingredients and fold them into a little parcel.
- Total Time: 10 mins
- Serves: 1 1x
- 1 x Seaweed (nori) sheet
- 1/2 cup rice (note 1)
- 1 small tin of tuna, mixed with 1 tsp whole egg mayonnaise
- Half a thinly sliced cucumber
- 1/4 thinly sliced avocado
- Place a sheet of cling wrap on your kitchen bench (it needs to be slightly bigger than the seaweed sheet).
- Place the seaweed sheet on top, shiny side down, so that one of the corners faces towards you (in a diamond shape).
- In the centre of the diamond, place a thin layer of rice in the shape of a rectangle approximately 12cm x 7cm.
- Top the rice with cucumber slices, followed by the tuna, followed by the avocado and more rice.
- Fold the corners of the seaweed sheet inwards, using the cling wrap to secure the rice sandwich tightly. Cut in half to eat and serve.
MAKE AHEAD – Assemble, refrigerate and consume within 24 hours.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 24 hours.
Note 1 – Jasmine rice was used in this recipe, but you can use any rice you like. It’s easiest to work with freshly cooked rice that has been slightly cooled down (not hot). Season your rice with sushi seasoning (an equal mix of vinegar, sugar and water).
- Prep Time: 10 mins