- 500g pork and veal mince (substitute with pork or beef mince)
- 1 large onion, grated
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp beef stock powder
- 1/2 cup pure cream or thickened cream
- 1 tbsp chives, finely chopped
- Pasta or mashed potato to serve
- Cranberry sauce to serve (see note 1)
- Add the meatball ingredients to a large bowl, use your hands to combine. Roll the meatballs, slightly smaller than a golf ball.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Cook the meatballs, turning frequently for 2-3 minutes until browned. Remove them from the pan and set aside (they will still be raw on the inside).
- Turn the heat down to medium, add the unsalted butter to the same pan.
- Once the butter is melted, add the flour. Use a whisk to stir for 1 minute. Once a paste is formed, add the water and stock powder. Continue whisking until the sauce begins to thicken (it will be very thin, like water initially). Return the meatballs to the sauce and cook for 8 minutes.
- Add the cream and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Top with finely sliced chives.
- To make the cucumber salad, combine the ingredients.
- Serve with pasta or mashed potato, cucumber salad and cranberry sauce.
MAKE AHEAD – Refrigerate pre-made, uncooked meatballs for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months. Store the meatballs in an airtight container with baking paper in between the layers to stop the meatballs sticking. Thaw completely overnight in the fridge before use. Cook as per the recipe.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave. Not suitable to freeze.
Note 1 – Traditionally Lingonberry jam is served with Swedish Meatballs. Cranberry sauce is the perfect substitute, accessible at most major supermarkets. It is tangy and sweet and pairs perfectly with the creamy sauce.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 14 mins
- Category: pork, meatballs
- Method: deep pan
- Cuisine: Swedish
Keywords: Swedish Meatballs, Swedish Meatball recipe