The BEST Homemade Sausage Rolls
Few things are better than homemade sausage rolls straight out of the oven. These pork and fennel sausage rolls are such a crowd-pleaser and are perfect for picnics, afternoon teas and lunch boxes. These will transport you to your favourite bakery. They are so easy to make, and you’ll know they are filled with wholesome goodness.
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Serves: 4 (makes 12 small rolls) 1x
- 500g pork mince (substitute with chicken mince, regular beef mince or lamb mince)
- 1 tsp garlic, freshly minced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tbsp ketchup
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg, whisked (reserve one tablespoon to brush over pastry)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 sheets frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 1/2 tsp white sesame seeds, optional
- 1/2 tsp black sesame seeds, optional
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp fennel seeds, optional
- Ketchup or tomato chutney to serve
- Preheat the oven to a 200°C fan.
- In a large bowl, use your hands to combine the filling ingredients (taking care to reserve 1 tbsp of the whisked egg for brushing the pastry later). Portion into four.
- Cut the thawed puff pastry sheets in half, straight down the middle (you will have four halves).
- Place a portion of filling in the centre of each puff pastry half, and using your hands, shape the filling into a large sausage shape lengthways.
- Roll the pastry into a long log, ensuring the pastry is seam-side down. Cut each log into six equal lengths.
- Place the sausage rolls seam-side down on a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Brush each sausage roll with the reserved whisked egg. Sprinkle each roll with sesame seeds, salt and fennel seeds if using.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. If you have more than one tray in the oven, swap the trays halfway through cooking.
- Serve with ketchup or tomato chutney.
MAKE AHEAD – Refrigerate assembled sausage rolls for up to 24 hours or freeze for up to 2 months. Assemble the sausage rolls as per the recipe up to step 6 (do not brush with egg wash or sprinkle with seasonings). Store in an air-tight container or reusable sandwich bag with baking paper between the layers to stop them from sticking. Thaw completely in the fridge overnight before cooking, or if cooking from frozen, add 15 minutes to the cooking time. Brush with egg wash and sprinkle with seasonings before baking.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate cooked sausage rolls for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or eat cold (puff pastry will soften if reheated).
Can vegetables be added to these sausage rolls? Yes! ⅔ cup of finely grated onion, carrot or zucchini works well in this recipe. The vegetables add moisture and even more flavour.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 25 mins