- Place whole cauliflower in a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 cup of water.
- Microwave on high for 10-12 minutes. It should be easy enough to easily pierce with a fork when it’s done. If not, continue cooking at 2-minute intervals (the length of time it cooks depends on the strength of your microwave). It can take up to 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven grill.
- Meanwhile, heat the butter in a small pot on low heat. Once it is melted, add the flour. Stir for 1 minute until a paste is formed.
- Slowly add the milk and stir using a whisk. Reduce the heat to the lowest heat setting. Continue stirring for 6-8 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Once the sauce is nice and thick and coats the back of a spoon, stir through 1 cup of the cheese and the stock powder.
- Place the cauliflower in an oven-safe dish, cover it with the cream sauce and sprinkle with the remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Grill for 8 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the cauliflower is golden. Keep an eye on it as it will brown quickly! Sprinkle with fresh thyme leaves.
Note 1 – Any melting cheese are suitable for this recipe (cheddar cheese, colby, gruyere) but avoid packaged, shredded cheeses as these will produce a lumpy sauce. Freshly grated is best.
MAKE AHEAD AND LEFTOVERS – Whole Baked Cheese Cauliflower is best prepared and served immediately. Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 3 days, reheat in the microwave. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: side dish, cheesy cauliflower
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Whole Baked Cheese Cauliflower, Whole Baked Cheese Cauliflower recipe, cheesy cauliflower