- 1kg of chicken thigh fillets (approximately 6 chicken thighs, see note 1)
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic, freshly minced
- Juice and zest from one lemon
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Combine the chicken and all remaining marinade ingredients in a large bowl. Use your hands to coat the chicken evenly. Cook immediately or allow to marinate for up to 24 hours for a deeper flavour.
- Heat a large pan on medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 10 minutes (or until golden and cooked through), turning once halfway. Add 1/4 cup of water at the halfway mark if the pan gets too sticky. Allow the chicken to rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve the chicken on pita bread or my 2 Ingredient Flatbread with tzatziki, tomato, red onion, parsley and kalamata olives.
Note 1 – Prepare the chicken by trimming the fat and slightly flattening it. Use a mallet, rolling pin or empty wine bottle. Place a sheet of baking paper over the chicken and pound the thicker side to create one even fillet. This step isn’t essential but speeds up the cooking time and means the chicken cooks through more evenly.
MAKE AHEAD – Marinate the chicken for up until 24 hours before cooking.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave. Not suitable for freezing.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Category: street food
- Method: pan fry
- Cuisine: Greek
Keywords: chicken gyros, greek gyros, chicken wraps