- 2 chicken breasts (cut in half lengthways)
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter
- Sprinkle the chicken halves with flour, salt and pepper. Use your hands to coat the chicken evenly.
- Heat a large pan on medium heat, add 1 tbsp of butter and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side until the chicken is just cooked through and golden. Set aside.
- Add 2-3 tbsp of water in the same pan to loosen up any sticky bits. This will stop them from burning. Add the remaining 1 tbsp of butter and the mushrooms. Cook for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the garlic, and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the water, chicken stock powder and pouring cream. Bring to a gentle simmer for 2 minutes or until the sauce has thickened slightly. Add the parmesan cheese and return the chicken to the pan—heat through for 1 minute.
- Serve with sweet potato mash and steamed broccolini.
Note 1 – A quick tip for fuss-free sweet potato mash is to prick it all over with a fork (I usually do 2-3 small sweet potatoes at a time), add it to a dish with a splash of water and microwave it for 10-15 minutes, turning once halfway. The sweet potato should be soft enough to easily prick with a fork when it’s cooked. If it’s not, cook it for longer in 3-5 minute intervals (how quickly it cooks depends on the strength of your microwave and the size of the sweet potato). Cut through the skin and scoop out the flesh using a spoon to serve.
MAKE AHEAD – This recipe is best cooked and served immediately or reheated using the instructions below.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave, taking care not to overheat and dry out the chicken. The sauce’s texture will change as the oil splits from the cream (the taste will remain unaffected). Not suitable for freezing.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: chicken
- Method: pan, simmer
Keywords: Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce, chicken and mushroom sauce, Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce recipe