Creamy Pesto Chicken Breast
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 900g chicken breast (note 1)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 190g jar of pesto (note 2)
- 1 cup pure cream
- 1/2 cup semi-dried tomatoes
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra to serve
- Heat a large skillet on high heat. Add olive oil and chicken breast. Cook 3-4 minutes each side until golden.
- Remove chicken from pan, set aside on a plate.
- To the same pan, add garlic cloves and cook 1 minute stirring until fragrant.
- Add pesto, pure cream, semi-dried tomatoes, spinach leaves and 1/2 cup of water. Bring to the boil (this will take 1-2 minutes).
- Stir through parmesan cheese, return chicken to pan and simmer on low heat for 3-5 minutes to allow chicken to cook through.
- Serve with remaining parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
Note 1 – Leave small chicken breast (250g or under whole), cut large large chicken breast (250g or more) in half lengthways creating two equal portions. Whole chicken thigh fillets can also be used.
Note 2 – I buy the Jamie Oliver Green Pesto from Woolworths which is great for nights where I need dinner quick, but you can use any you like (including homemade).
Can I freeze Creamy Pesto Chicken Breast? Yes! You can freeze this dish. Slice up the chicken (this will aid in defrosting the chicken without drying out) and cover with sauce before freezing. Store in an air-tight container for up to 2 months. You will find when defrosted the sauce may lose a bit of creaminess. This is because when reheated in the microwave, the milk fats separate from the milk solids. It will still taste incredible.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.