- Cook pasta as per packet instructions less 1 minute. Drain and run under cold water to cool immediately.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter on low heat in a large, deep skillet.
- Once the butter has melted, add the flour and stir for 30 seconds until a paste forms.
- Pour in 1/4 of the milk, whisking for 30 seconds until the mixture combines.
- Add the remaining milk and whisk on low heat for 5 minutes, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Stir in the stock powder and cheese. Turn off the heat, and stir through the pasta. Serve as is or continue with the following steps for extra crunch.
- Preheat the grill. Transfer to a baking dish if needed and sprinkle with the panko breadcrumbs. Spray with olive oil.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes until golden (keep an eye on it because it will change to a golden colour quickly!)
MAKE AHEAD – Follow the recipe instructions up until step 7. Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw completely in the fridge overnight. To reheat, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes in a 180°C fan oven. Remove foil and place under grill for 2-3 minutes to crisp up the breadcrumbs.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate up to 3 days. Reheat in a 180°C fan oven for 10-15 minutes or until heated through. Not suitable for freezing.
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Category: Macaroni
- Method: pan
- Cuisine: British