Macaroni and Cheese
- 500g elbow pasta / macaroni
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 3 cups full cream milk
- 3 cups freshly grated tasty cheese (or any cheddar)
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder
- 2 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- Olive oil spray
- Cook pasta as per packet instructions less 1 minute. Drain and run under cold tap water to cool immediately.
- Meanwhile in a large, deep skillet, melt the butter on low heat.
- Once the butter has melted, add the flour and stir for 30 seconds until a paste forms.
- Pour in 1/4 of the milk, whisking for 30 seconds until the mixture starts to combine.
- Add the remaining milk and whisk on low heat for 5 minutes, until the sauce is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Stir in the stock powder and cheese. Turn off the heat, stir through the pasta. Serve as is or continue with the following steps for extra crunch.
- Transfer to a baking dish if needed and sprinkle with the panko breadcrumbs. Spray with olive oil.
- Grill for 2-3 minutes until golden (keep an eye on it because it will change to a golden colour quickly!)
Make ahead – Follow the recipe instructions up until step 7. Refigerate up to 3 days or freeze up to 2 months (thaw completely in fridge to reheat). To reheat, cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes at 180°c fan-forced. Remove foil and place under grill for 2-3 minutes to crisp up the breadcrumbs.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.