Massaman Beef Slow Cooker
Looking for a hearty and flavorful meal that practically cooks itself? Look no further than this delicious Massaman beef slow cooker recipe! Enjoy tender, melt-in-your-mouth beef in a rich, fragrant curry sauce. And the best part? The slow cooker does all the work for you, so you can sit back and relax while your kitchen fills with the tantalizing aroma of Thai spices.
- Total Time: 4 hours 15 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1kg gravy beef (no need to cut, chuck steak works well, too, see note 1)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 heaped tbsp massaman curry paste
- 270ml tin coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock (or 1 cup water and 1 chicken stock cube)
- 8 small potatoes (any variety) cut into 2cm chunks (no need to peel)
- 2 medium-sized onions sliced into thick wedges
- Coriander, sliced red chilli, crushed peanuts to serve (optional)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the beef to the pan and cook it for 3-4 minutes per side until browned. This locks in the flavour.
- In a small bowl, combine the massaman curry paste, coconut milk and chicken stock to form a sauce.
- In your slow cooker, layer the beef, potatoes and onions in that order.
- Pour the sauce all over the top. Don’t worry if some of the potatoes and onions are not submerged. They will melt into the sauce during the cooking process.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. If the beef is still firm at the end of the cooking time, continue cooking on high in 30-minute intervals. The beef should come apart easily using a fork. Use tongs to gently pull it apart into smaller, bite-sized pieces to serve.
- Serve topped with coriander, sliced red chilli and crushed peanuts if using.
Note 1 – You can cut the beef first into bite-sized pieces if preferred. Leaving it whole decreases the amount of time required to prepare this dish. The beef pulls apart quite easily when it’s cooked.
MAKE AHEAD AND LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate cooked Massaman Curry for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw completely overnight in the fridge. Reheat in the microwave.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 4 hours 10 mins
Love this! So easy and delicious. I use less of the massaman paste as it’s a little spicy for my little ones but just add fresh chili for those who can handle it.
This is so valuable! Thank you so much for taking the time to comment – Love the idea of using a little less paste and then adding fresh chilli. It’s 9am yet I could go a big plate of this right now! 😂 Nic x
Love this so easy to make. Regularly made during the winter
Love, love this one too and I’m so glad you love it as much as we do! Thank you for taking the time to write. Nic x
This one is on repeat in our house, absolutely delicious and so easy. Love coming home from work to it all ready to go, all I have to do it put the rice on. The best!
Ahhh this makes me SO happy to read. Is not smelling it when you come home the most satisfying thing on the planet?! 😂 Thank you SO much for taking the time to write, means so much to me! x
Absolutely LOVE this recipe. It has become a favourite date night meal. It tastes sooooo good. Cooked it again last night and had some family round. They all asked for the recipe!
This is a date night meal for us too! It honestly makes me feel like I’m at a restaurant. 😂 I am SO glad you guys love it as much as we do! Thank you so much for taking the time to write, means so much to me. Nic x
I got my husband to make this on the weekend (he’s the house MasterChef!) and he legit asked where the rest of the ingredients were.
We was flabbergasted 8hrs later when we sat down to dinner and it tasted like heaven on earth!!
Needless to say we’ll be making more Simple Home Edit recipes from now on!!
Haha oh gosh I LOVE this! It’s so true, there really is nothing to it but it transports me to my local Thai place every single time! So glad you guys loved it as much as we do. Thank you so much for stopping by and leaving a comment! Means so much to me x
Hi, I don’t own a slow cooker. Are your slow cooker recipes adaptable to a crock pot in the oven? Thank you!