Perfect Soft Boiled Eggs
Growing up, my Mum always told me how important it was to eat a good breakfast before heading off to school, and these Perfect Soft Boiled Eggs were always my top request. They still make it into my ‘top 5 breakfasts of all time’ today. I’m unsure if it’s the rich, runny yolk or the comforting memories they evoke, but these ‘Dippy Eggs‘ are a simple, satisfying way to start your morning.
- Total Time: 6 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. The pot needs to be large enough to fit the eggs in a single layer, with at least 3cm of water covering the eggs.
- Once the water is rapidly boiling, gently submerge the eggs (straight from the fridge). Set a timer for 6 minutes.
- As soon as the timer goes, remove the eggs using a slotted spoon and run them under cold tap water for 30 seconds. This will stop the cooking process and ensure your eggs are cool enough to handle.
- Use a butter knife or spoon to crack the top of the shell off. If you find the yoke to be a bit watery at the top, use a spoon to gently swirl it into the egg yolk, the residual heat will cook it through, and you will be left with a perfectly cooked soft-boiled egg.
- Season with salt sprinkled on top and serve with buttered toast soldiers.
Troubleshooting: If your eggs are cracking soon after hitting the water, try submerging them for 1 minute in a bowl of warm tap water first.
- Cook Time: 6 mins