Sauteed Red Cabbage
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red or brown onion, finely diced
- 1 green apple, peeled and grated
- 1/2 large red cabbage, finely shredded (using a knife, peeler, mandolin or food processor)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp cracked pepper
- 2/3 cup sultana
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and apple. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes until they begin to soften.
- Add the red cabbage, cook for 2 minutes until it begins to soften.
- Add the apple cider vinegar, salt, brown sugar, pepper and 1/3 cup water. Cook, stirring for 1 minute until the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce the heat to the lowest setting, place the lid on, cook for 30 minutes stirring halfway. If you find the cabbage is sticking at the halfway point, add 1-2 tbsp of water.
- Add the sultanas, cook for another 15 minutes or until the cabbage is tender.
- Serve with pork schnitzel or goulash.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.