Traditional Pork Schnitzel Recipe
Comfort on a plate, my crispy pork schnitzel with braised cabbage and creamy mushroom sauce is a must-try. I love preparing these schnitzels in bulk and freezing them. I have included directions for freezing and cooking from frozen in this recipe. This is the ultimate pub-style meal made even better at home!
- Total Time: 27 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 8 pork loin steaks (see note 1)
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Oil for frying (see note 2)
- Salt to season
- Your favourite sides to serve. Try my sautéed red cabbage and mushroom sauce.
- Coat the pork loin steaks in the flour.
- One by one, dredge the pork in the whisked egg, followed by the breadcrumbs taking care to press the breadcrumbs into the steaks so that they are evenly coated.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Cook the schnitzels for 8-12 minutes, occasionally turning them until golden brown.
- Drain on a paper towel, season with salt and serve.
Note 1 – Pork loin steaks can be found at most supermarkets. Look for steaks that are between 0.5 – 1cm thick. They don’t need to be pounded. Pork loin steaks generally have a thin layer of fat on them. If the pork steak is thicker than 1cm, gently pound it with a rolling pin or mallet to create an even thickness. If more than 0.5cm of fat is visible on the pork steak, trim it.
Note 2 – Use Canola, vegetable oil or good-quality olive oil to shallow fry the schnitzels. The base of the pan will need to be completely covered and at least 0.5cm deep to fry.
MAKE AHEAD – Crumb the pork schnitzel as per the recipe and cover it in the fridge for up to 3 days. Cook as per the recipe. Freeze for up to 2 months in an airtight, reusable zip lock bag or container. Place sheets of baking paper between the layers of schnitzel to stop them from sticking to each other. Thaw completely in the fridge overnight prior to use. Cook as per the recipe.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate cooked pork schnitzel for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave, and the coating may soften. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins