Taco bowls are a quick, tasty and simple solution for a delicious midweek family dinner. By preparing all the toppings in advance and placing them on the table, everyone can customise their bowl with their favourite ingredients. Not only is this meal affordable at under $5 per serving, but it’s also cooked in just one pot for easy cleanup.
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Serves: 4 1x
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 tsp garlic, freshly minced
- 500g regular beef mince (can be substituted with chicken mince or any beans)
- 400g can kidney beans (or any beans of choice)
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2/3 cup shredded tasty cheese
- 4 tbsp sour cream
- 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 1/2 cup pickled jalapeños
- 1 cup corn kernels, tinned
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook for 2 minutes or until softened.
- Add the beef mince and cook until browned for 2-3 mins.
- Add the paprika, cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, oregano and salt. Stir for 1 minute.
- Stir through the tomato paste and ¼ cup of water. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve topped with cheese, sour cream and spring onion. Serve shredded red cabbage, diced tomato, sliced avocado, jalapenos, corn kernels and lime wedges on the side.
MAKE AHEAD AND LEFTOVERS – Make the beef and bean mixture and refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 2 months. Thaw completely in the fridge overnight. Reheat in the microwave. The toppings can also be prepared in advance and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
- Prep Time: 6 mins
- Cook Time: 9 mins