- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, grated
- 2 celery stalks, finely diced
- 750g beef mince
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 puff pastry sheet, thawed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Steamed peas and ketchup to serve
- Heat the olive oil on high heat in a large, heavy-based pan.
- Add the onion, garlic, carrot and celery. Cook, stirring for 4-5 minutes until softened.
- Add the beef, and cook for 4-5 minutes until browned.
- Add the tomato paste, and stir to combine.
- Add flour, and stir to combine.
- Add the Worcestershire sauce, beef stock and black pepper.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook on the lowest setting for 20-25 minutes with the lid on.
- Preheat the oven to a 200°C fan.
- Cut the pastry into 4 squares. Divide the beef mixture between four oven-safe ramekins.
- Lay the square of pastry on top of each dish and using your fingers, pinch and tuck the pastry around the edge of the dish to seal.
- Brush the egg over the top of the pie and sprinkle the pastry with salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and crisp.
- Serve with steamed peas and tomato sauce.
MAKE AHEAD – Prepare the beef filling as per the recipe. Refrigerate for up to 48 hours. Freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw overnight in the fridge. The filling does not need to be reheated before baking. Follow the recipe from step 8.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven. The puff pastry will soften. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 55 mins
- Category: pie, beef, meat pie, traditional meat pie
- Method: pan, bake
- Cuisine: Australian
Keywords: Traditional Meat Pie, Traditional Meat Pie recipe