Baked Chicken Risotto
This is chicken risotto made easy and fast. Traditionally risotto is a dish cooked by adding broth to rice until it reaches a creamy consistency. But this quick, no-fuss, oven-baked method produces perfectly fluffy, garlic infused rice. Stir through spinach leaves and parmesan at the end for a simple, one pot dinner or use any of the vegetable alternatives listed below.
- Total Time: 35 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 500g mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 500g boneless chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1cm pieces (optional)
- 1.5 cups arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken stock, at room temperature
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups spinach leaves (optional)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Chilli oil and extra parmesan to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan.
- Heat the olive oil on medium-high heat in a large, ovenproof, deep skillet.
- Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms (if using, see note 1) and cook 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the chicken, cook and stir for 3 minutes until browned.
- Add the asparagus (if using), arborio rice, chicken stock, thyme (if using), salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Once simmering, cover with a lid or cover tightly with double foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Stir through the spinach leaves, parmesan and butter. Allow to stand for 5 before serving, there may be pools of liquid on top of the risotto once it comes out of the oven, as the risotto sits the liquid will absorb (see note 2).
- Serve with extra parmesan and chilli if using.
Note 1 – This recipe can be adapted to use vegetables that suit your family’s tastes or simply those you need to use up in the vegetable drawer. I love adding mushrooms, asparagus and spinach leaves but you can use zucchini, shredded kale, peas, green beans… the options are limitless!
Note 2 – Once the risotto comes out of the oven, there may be pools of liquid at the top. Give it a good stir. As the risotto sits, the liquid will absorb. If there is still too much liquid, return the risotto to the oven for 5 minutes.
LEFTOVERS AND MAKE AHEAD – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Freeze for up to 2 months (individual portion sizes are best). Thaw completely overnight in the fridge to reheat. Reheat in the microwave.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
I must admit, I was a bit skeptical making risotto in the oven but holy wow!! Yum! So quick and so easy. We add lots of different veggies in depending what’s on the fridge at the time.
The first time I made it, I spent more time staring at the oven than actually preparing the risotto. 😂 I was SO skeptical. But I’ve since made it at least 15 times and every time I eat it smugly knowing that the oven did all the hard work. 🤣 So glad you loved it as much as we do and love that you’ve customised it with different veggies! Nic x
We had this as a hearty Sunday night dinner with garlic bread on the side. So easy and delicious.
What a perfect combo and the best way to spend a Sunday night in, so glad you loved it as much as we do! Nic x
Oh my goodness, this is to die for. So simple and easy, but so tasty! Makes a great quantity, plenty of yummy leftovers! I used broccolini as I didn’t have asparagus and it was great. 😊
I rarely make stovetop risotto anymore because of how easy and tasty this is! Thank you so much, I’m so glad you loved it as much as we do! Nic x
Love it. I’ve never successfully made a risotto before. This was so easy and delicious. I feel like you could make so many variations of this and it would still work. I will definitely be making this again
Love, love, LOVE! Thank you so much, so glad you enjoyed it! 😍 x
Amazing! So easy. What in the oven and relax. Like previous comments I was worried the rice wouldn’t cook and it would be soggy but alas it was perfect. So yum. My man said it was in his top 10 of meals I’ve cooked. This will be on regular rotation in our meal plans. Thanks Nicole.