Baked Chicken Risotto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 tbsp garlic, finely chopped
- 500g mushrooms, sliced (optional)
- 500g boneless chicken thigh fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, cut into 1cm pieces (optional)
- 1.5 cups arborio rice
- 4 cups chicken stock, at room temperature
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (optional)
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 cups spinach leaves (optional)
- 1 cup freshly grated parmesan
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- Chilli oil and extra parmesan to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan.
- Heat the olive oil on medium-high heat in a large, ovenproof, deep skillet.
- Add the onion and garlic. Cook, stirring for 2 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms (if using, see note 1) and cook 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Add the chicken, cook and stir for 3 minutes until browned.
- Add the asparagus (if using), arborio rice, chicken stock, thyme (if using), salt and pepper. Bring to a gentle simmer.
- Once simmering, cover with a lid or cover tightly with double foil and bake for 25 minutes.
- Stir through the spinach leaves, parmesan and butter. Allow to stand for 5 before serving, there may be pools of liquid on top of the risotto once it comes out of the oven, as the risotto sits the liquid will absorb (see note 2).
- Serve with extra parmesan and chilli if using.
Note 1 – This recipe can be adapted to use vegetables that suit your family’s tastes or simply those you need to use up in the vegetable drawer. I love adding mushrooms, asparagus and spinach leaves but you can use zucchini, shredded kale, peas, green beans… the options are limitless!
Note 2 – Once the risotto comes out of the oven, there may be pools of liquid at the top. Give it a good stir. As the risotto sits, the liquid will absorb. If there is still too much liquid, return the risotto to the oven for 5 minutes.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.