- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g chicken thigh fillet, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 leek, thinly sliced (use the white section only and discard the dark green tops)
- 200g mushrooms, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder
- 6 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup freshly grated tasty cheese
- 1 sheet puff pastry partially thawed
- 1 egg whisked
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Steamed green vegetables to serve
- Preheat the oven to a 200°C fan.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add the leek and cook for 2-4 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken and cook for 5-6 minutes until browned.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes, until they soften.
- Add the thickened cream, dijon mustard, chicken stock powder and thyme. Cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce has thickened.
- Remove from the heat, and stir through the cheese. Season to taste with salt.
- Allow the pie filling to cool slightly, remove the thyme stalks and fill four individual pie dishes.
- Cut the pastry into four squares.
- Lay the square of pastry on top of the pie dish and using your fingers, pinch and tuck the pastry around the edge of the dish to seal.
- Brush the egg over the top of the pie and season the pastry with sesame seeds and salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the tops are golden and crunchy.
- Serve with a side of steamed green vegetables.
MAKE AHEAD – Prepare the pie filling up to 48 hours before use. Follow the recipe from step 8. There is no need to reheat the pie filling before cooking.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 2 days. Reheat in the microwave or oven – The puff pastry will soften. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: pie, chicken, chicken and leek, chicken pie
- Method: bake
- Cuisine: British
Keywords: Chicken and Leek Pie, Chicken and Leek Pie recipe