- 600 g chicken breast or chicken thigh, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp sweet paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup corn flour/cornstarch
- Oil for frying, see note 1
Sweet Chilli Sauce
- 1 tsp garlic, freshly minced
- 1 tsp ginger, freshly minced
- 1/2 cup sweet chilli sauce
- 1/4 cup tamari or regular soy sauce
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar, plain white vinegar, apple cider vinegar or lime juice
- Steamed rice
- 1 spring onion/scallion, finely sliced
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- Place the chicken in a large bowl with the sweet paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, egg and corn flour. Mix the chicken well until a paste forms around it. Set aside.
- To make the sauce, combine all the ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Set aside.
- Heat the oil (see note 1 for options) on medium-high heat in a large, deep frying pan. Cook the chicken for 5-6 minutes or until it is cooked through and golden all over, turning once halfway through. Set aside on a paper towel to drain excess oil.
- Drain the oil from the frying pan and wipe the pan clean.
- Heat the pan over medium-low heat and add the sauce. Stir for 2-3 minutes until the sauce begins to bubble gently and thicken. Turn the heat off and stir through the chicken so that it is evenly coated in the sauce.
- Serve the chicken immediately, heaped on steamed rice. Top with finely sliced spring onion and a sprinkle of sesame seeds.
- Optional: Add 1-2 tablespoons of boiling water (from the kettle) to the base of the pan (once the chicken has been removed). Use your spoon to stir the water into the remaining sauce and use this extra sauce to pour over the completed dish.
Note 1 – The recipe is based on using a high smoke point oil such as vegetable oil or canola oil which produces a light, crispy coating. You will need enough oil so that the base of the pan is covered and is at least 0.5 cm or 1/4″ deep. For regular weeknight cooking, I make this recipe using olive oil. It produces a denser coating that isn’t as even in colour, but is equally delicious! Use 4 tablespoons of olive oil (or olive oil spray to spray the base of the pan and the chicken once it is in the pan) and cook the chicken on medium-high heat for 6-8 minutes, or until it is cooked through, turning once halfway. Check out the FAQs below for air-frying instructions.
Crispy Sweet Chilli Chicken is best made and eaten immediately, but cutting the chicken and storing it refrigerated in an airtight container is a great way to speed up the dinner process!
Crispy Sweet Chilli Chicken leftovers can be refrigerated for up to 3 days. The coating softens during the reheating process, but the chicken stays perfectly tender and juicy.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins
Keywords: how to make crispy sweet chilli chicken, crispy sweet chilli chicken, sweet chilli chicken recipe