Don’t be scared to make your bechamel sauce from scratch – it’s easy! This popular cream sauce is perfect to layer in lasagna, stir through a creamy pasta, top vegetables, potato bake or seafood (this is my go-to for oysters or lobster mornay). My secret added ingredient is a chicken stock cube to give it an extra punch of flavour!
- Total Time: 12 mins
- Yield: 4 1x
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2.5 cups whole milk
- 1 tsp chicken stock powder
- Heat unsalted butter in a small pot on low heat. Once it is melted, add the flour. Stir until you form a paste (this will take 1 minute).
- Slowly add the milk and stir using a whisk. Reduce the heat to the lowest setting and continue whisking for 6-8 minutes.
- Once the sauce has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, it’s ready.
- Whisk in the chicken stock cube to the season – Best made and consumed immediately.
- Prep Time: 2 mins
- Cook Time: 10 mins