- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup plain flour
- 2.5 cups whole milk
- 1 chicken stock cube (or 1 tsp chicken stock powder)
- Heat butter in a small pot on low heat. Once it is melted, add the flour. Stir until you form a paste (this will take 1 minute).
- Add the milk and stir using a whisk. This is important so that you don’t end up with a lumpy sauce. Continue stirring over the lowest heat setting until the sauce begins to thicken. This will take between 6-8 minutes.
- Once the sauce is nice and thick and coats the back of a spoon, it’s ready! Add the stock cube and whisk until it’s dissolved.
- It tastes amazing with cheddar and/or parmesan added but is just as good on it’s own.
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.