- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 red onions, peeled and quartered
- 6 potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 free-range chicken (1.2kg-1.8kg), patted dry with a paper towel
- 1 tbsp chicken stock powder
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 thick slices of fresh lemon
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to a 180°C fan.
- Place the carrots and red onions in the centre of a large baking dish. Arrange the potatoes around the outside of the baking dish.
- Place the chicken on top of the carrots and red onions.
- Sprinkle the chicken and vegetables with the chicken stock powder, paprika, dried thyme and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil, and use your hands to coat the chicken and vegetables evenly. Stuff the lemon slices into the cavity of the chicken. You can truss the chicken at this point if you wish (optional, see note 1).
- Oven bake for 45 minutes and then add 1 cup of water. Use a spatula to shuffle the vegetables around the chicken gently so they are not sticking to the base of the pan.
- Cook for a further 45 minutes. Allow the chicken and vegetables to rest with the heat off for at least 15 minutes (this is what ensures the chicken is soft and juicy).
- Serve the chicken alongside the vegetables and drizzle with the pan juices.
Note 1 – You may choose to truss the chicken, which traps moisture and also presents well, but this is optional. The results without trussing are delicious, and you will be left with perfectly cooked chicken every time.
MAKE AHEAD – Marinate the chicken for up until 48 hours before cooking.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Reheat in the microwave. The chicken can be eaten cold. Not suitable to freeze.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 1 hour 30 mins
- Category: chicken
- Method: oven bake
Keywords: Chicken and Vegetable Tray Bake, Chicken & Vegetable Tray Bake recipe