Chicken & Vegetable Tray Bake
- 2 carrots, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 red onions, peeled and quartered
- 6 potatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 free range chicken (1.2kg-1.8kg), patted dry with paper towel
- 1 tbsp chicken stock powder
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika powder
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp pepper
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 thick slices of fresh lemon
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 180°C fan.
- Place the carrots and red onions in the centre of a large baking dish. Arrange the potatoes around the outside of the baking dish.
- Place the chicken on top of the carrots and red onions.
- Sprinkle the chicken and vegetables all over with the chicken stock powder, paprika, dried thyme and pepper.
- Drizzle with olive oil and use your hands to coat the chicken and vegetables evenly. Stuff the lemon slices into the cavity of the chicken. You can truss the chicken at this point if you wish (optional, see note 1).
- Oven bake for 45 minutes and then add 1 cup of water. Use a spatula to gently shuffle the vegetables around the chicken so they are not sticking to the base of the pan.
- Cook for a further 45 minutes. Allow the chicken and vegetables to rest with the heat off for at least 15 minutes (this is what ensures the chicken is soft and juicy).
- Serve the chicken alongside the vegetables and drizzled with the pan juices.
Note 1 – You may choose to truss the chicken which traps moisture and also presents well, but this is optional. The results without trussing are absolutely delicious and you will be left with perfectly cooked chicken every time.
Have leftovers? Try using leftovers with one of these recipes:
- Chicken Noodle Salad with Sesame Soy Dressing
- Chicken Salad with Creamy Peanut Dressing
- Chicken Sandwich Filling
Share this recipe!
I’m Nic, wife and Mum to two little people. I’m based in Sydney, Australia. I created Simple Home Edit to inspire others to buy with intention, eat well with simple ingredients, own less and live more.
Subscribe to my newsletter
Keep up-to-date with my latest articles, videos and tips.