- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup frozen vegetables (peas and corn)
- 2 eggs, scrambled
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1/4 cup tamari or all-purpose soy sauce
- 500 g chicken thigh fillet, diced (chicken breast works well too)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup corn flour/cornstarch
- Oil to fry (see note 1)
- Heat the butter on high heat in a large pan. Add frozen vegetables and eggs. Cook until the eggs become firm (for 1-2 minutes).
- Add rice and tamari or soy sauce. Cook for 2 minutes and set aside.
- Combine the chicken, egg, garlic powder, paprika, salt, pepper and corn flour in a large bowl. The ingredients will form a thick paste around the chicken.
- Heat the oil on medium heat in a large pan and fry the chicken for 3-4 minutes until golden (see note 1 for oil options).
- Set the chicken aside to drain on a paper towel.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbsp olive oil on medium heat. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring for 30 seconds until fragrant. Add the tamari or all-purpose soy sauce, brown sugar and sesame oil. Cook for 2-3 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken. Add the corn flour and water if the sauce is too thin or 1/4 cup water, 1 tbsp at a time, if it is too thick (see note 2).
- Return the chicken to the pan and stir to coat evenly.
- Serve the fried rice topped with the chicken and spring onions.
Note 1 – Good quality olive oil can be used for frying, but if a neutral taste is preferred, use canola or vegetable oil.
Note 2 – The sauce should be able to coat the chicken easily. The consistency should be a little thinner than honey. If the sauce is too thin, add the corn flour and water mixture 1 tbsp at a time to thicken, and cook for 1 minute or until thickened. If the sauce is too thick, add 1/4 cup of water, 1 tbsp at a time.
Best cooked and served immediately.
Refrigerate leftovers for up to 3 days. Microwave to reheat. The chicken will soften but will still taste amazing.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins
- Category: chicken
- Method: pan, simmer
- Cuisine: Asian
Keywords: Crispy Sesame Chicken and Fried Rice, Crispy Sesame Chicken and Fried Rice recipe