Homemade Beef Cevapi
A childhood favourite of mine, Cevapi (chae-vap or chae-vap-ee), are hand-shaped, skinless sausages that are a Croatian favourite. I have fond memories of helping my mum make them when I was young. Cevapi are easy-to-make and have a delicious smoky flavour. Perfect for serving with cabbage salad, potato salad, pickled chilli, ajvar and flatbread, as I have here. Or enjoy it street food style on flatbread with sliced onions and a generous dollop of ajvar and cream cheese. Yum!
- Total Time: 27 mins
- Serves: 4 (makes approximately 16 cevapi) 1x
- 500g regular (20% fat) beef mince
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp garlic, freshly minced
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 1 and 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cups finely shredded red cabbage
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Potato salad
- Pickled chilli
- Fresh bread
- In a large bowl, combine the cevapi ingredients with your hands until combined.
- Using 2 tbsp of the mixture, shape into sausages (roughly 10cm long and 2cm thick).
- Arrange on a platter and refrigerate for up to 1 hour or overnight if you have the time. This will allow the flavours to develop and make the cevapi easier to cook (as they will be firmer). If you don’t have time, you can cook them immediately (they will still be delicious but might be a bit fiddly to turn).
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a large pan on medium heat, cooking the cevapi in batches if necessary. Cook for 10-12 mins, turning as needed until golden brown.
- Add ¼ cup of water in the last 3 minutes of cooking. This will deglaze the pan and create a delicious sauce, perfect for soaking up with bread!
- Serve with cabbage salad, potato salad, pickled chilli, ajvar and bread.
MAKE AHEAD – Prepare the cevapi 24 hours before cooking – This will allow the flavours to develop and make the cevapi easier to cook (as they will be firmer). Freeze uncooked for up to 2 months and thaw completely in the fridge overnight before cooking.
LEFTOVERS – Refrigerate for up to 3 days. Microwave to reheat. Not suitable for freezing.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 12 mins