- 2 litres of beef stock (or 3 beef stock cubes crumbled and 8 cups of water)
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and bruised
- 1 thumb ginger, sliced roughly
- 2 star anise
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 handfuls of bean sprouts
- 1/2 bunch coriander
- 1 lime, sliced into wedges
- Sliced chilli and spring onion to serve (optional)
- Cook rice noodles as per packet instructions, less 2 minutes. Rinse with cold water and set aside.
- In a large pot, add all broth ingredients. Bring to a boil, then simmer uncovered on medium heat for 20 mins.
- Season the beef with salt and pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan on high heat. Sear the beef on both sides for 1-2 minutes per side to create a crust (so that the beef is seared all over but still raw in the centre). Allow to rest while broth cooks (note 1).
- Slice the beef thinly. Arrange the noodles and beef in individual serving bowls. Ladle with broth; the heat from the broth will cook the beef to perfection.
- Serve topped with bean sprouts, coriander, lime, sliced chilli and spring onion (if using).
Note 1 – You can completely bypass this step and place the beef into the serving bowls raw. The heat from the broth cooks the thinly sliced beef. Searing the beef first creates a more intense depth of flavour.
MAKE AHEAD AND LEFTOVERS – This Quick Beef Pho is best cooked and served immediately.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Category: beef, beef pho, Quick Beef Pho
- Method: pan seer, boil
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
Keywords: Quick Beef Pho, Quick Beef Pho recipe